Thursday, April 22, 2021

Book Review: Blood Relations: A New World by Glenn Stevens #BookReview #Vampires

For once, I did not judge a book by the cover, but I thought the blurb sounded fabulous and it was free, so I thought, why not? I am going to put on my best Count Dracula voice now (I know you can't hear me, you have to pretend) as I introduce Glenn Stevens rather intriguing novel:

Blood Relations: A New World
  


Eros finds warm-blooded creatures fascinating...especially the female ones.

Eros is a handsome, ageless, blood-sucking alien who finds refuge on modern-day Earth. Despite coming from an advanced civilization thousands of years ahead of Earth, he falls in love with the charm, compassion, and creativity of humanity. But after outliving his friends and lovers, Eros becomes incensed to find a way to help others live longer—especially after meeting the beautiful and powerful Camellia. And when he hears of the sacred and elusive Fountain of Youth, Eros believes he may be able to keep his love alive for good.

But with Eros's need for female blood and Camellia's mortality and protective mother fighting against their union, will Camellia and Eros find a way to be together today, tomorrow, and forever? This epic love story will have readers' hearts skipping beats and filling with warmth and positivity. Despite its incredible paranormal twists, this love story feels as real and raw as it gets.



I am sure I have said before that I have a very long to-read list. Honestly, I should probably stop saying that I will review books until I catch up with my reading, but we all know that is never going to happen. So when I was browsing through books, on Instagram, I saw this one was free to download on my eReader. (Unfortunately, it is no longer free. Sorry. And you can't find me on Instagram as I have a private account - don't be nosy) I have way too many books on it already and it is incredibly slow (probably because of the number of books) but whenever I see a book is free, I can’t help but download it. And, obviously, new books go to the top of the to-read list.

When I started reading this book, I wasn’t entirely sure what I was getting myself into. It seems like just your typical vampire romance, but if that is what you are expecting, you are in for a surprise. Phew, are there some steamy scenes.


Eros is what I can only call a space vampire. He wasn’t bitten, as far as I can tell, so he is simply just an alien who so happens to fit the vampire bill. Surprise, surprise, he can only drink blood from women, something to do with their blood, I wasn’t really sure, and his venom causes these women to have a rise in Oxytocin, which is apparently the love hormone. So the women are bitten, then experience all kinds of pleasure. An incentive, of course, to be bitten again. Really, Eros’ species are wonderfully evolved.


Eros’ venom also has healing properties. If you’ve ever seen the Vampire Diaries, kind of like that. But instead of having to drink vampire blood, it is his venom or saliva that causes the healing. Still, it’s kind of gross if you think about it too much, but very useful. Especially when you mass produce it and sell it as a way of making money to run a blood donation resort. Although I know how the resort is run, I still want to visit it. People visit for free, donate blood, and can have all kinds of wonderful meals and experiences for free – everything is paid for through the blood donations, which are made better by Eros’ venom and then sold to hospitals and such. The only problem is that when I have any amount of blood taken, I generally nearly faint, so maybe I wouldn’t have such a great time.


As usual, I read in my spare time, in small time periods when my child is off doing something alone, or my husband is occupying the gremlin. This book is rather long, so it did take me a while to read it. However, this is the one and only book that I have ever got my husband interested in, and I’m not sure he was that invested in the story, to be honest, but rather was enjoying laughing at me laughing at the book. I was reading it in the living room, and he was working at the computer, with our small child playing with toys on the floor. I snorted with laughter and he looked over, a habit from me finding things amusing and then immediately reading them out to him. So he had turned around to listen, the darling. I refused to read it out loud with our child in the room, which intrigued him and I told him I’d show him in the evening when our child was in bed. Bedtime came around and we sat down together.


If you live in the UK, you might know what I mean when I say M&S advert voice. If not, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lwMQYxm23U


Note the sexy, breathy voices, making the products seem sexy and therefore appetising? We love the M&S adverts in the UK, they are just fabulous, and Aldi has really had fun taking the p*** out of them of late but that has nothing to do with this review. Anyway, my husband sat down next to me and I started reading out loud, in this kind of voice. At least, that is what I was going for. Sometimes I couldn’t help but laugh and the voice would waver at these times. 


This is what I mean by my husband getting interested in the book – it was not so much the story, but me reading it out and laughing at it. Then again, we did spend the next few evenings in exactly the same way, and he started quoting some of the lines at me, whispered in my ear as he walked past, making me double over in laughter at times.


This is probably not the experience I should’ve had, reading such a book, but it made it so much better. I do not usually read what I can only call erotica, and I never would for the purpose of enjoying reading about sex in that way, but since I take everything with a couple of handfuls and a pinch of sarcasm, it was an incredibly amusing experience. I must admit, I never thought the genre of book that would get my husband to read would be erotica, but life is full of surprises.


I am going to give this book 5 golden stars because I have not been so entertained in ages!!


I found my copy on Amazon UK, and I just saw that it is on audio - I wish the voice actor had been the M&S one - that would have made my year!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club — Small Eden by Jane Davis #HistoricalFiction #TheCoffeePotBookClub #BlogTour @janedavisauthor @cathiedunn

You have to check out Jane Davis' new book, Small Eden. Thank you to  The Coffee Pot Book Club  for inviting me to be a part of this to...